There will be days, weeks or even months when your baby will demand ALL your attention. I’m talking every. single. second. he is awake!
There is no way around it. It’s normal.
For the first few weeks of baby’s life it’s important to wean into mamahood.
This means only doing what is absolutely necessary, so your body (and mind!), has a chance to adjust to sleepless nights, endless diapers and new routines.
But there comes a day when you NEED to figure out how to fit Laundry, Meals and Housework back into your schedule! *yuck*
So how do you get sh*t done when your baby is doing everything possible to sabotage your good intentions?
Here is a 2-step process that worked for me:
1st step: Make sure you stay rested.
This way when you get a free moment you’ll have the energy to ‘get-it-done’ quickly! If your baby is young then he will be taking 2-3 naps per day.
- During his first nap of the day, YOU SLEEP TOO!
- During his second nap of the day, GET SH*T DONE!
- During his 3rd nap of the day, RELAX! You’ve earned it :)
*When you are rested and focused you can get A LOT done in a short period of time. And if you are getting the important stuff out-of-the-way while baby is sleeping, you avoid feeling guilty for not accomplishing as much when he’s awake.
2nd step: During your ‘get-sh*t-done’ time, you should tackle your most important tasks. These are tasks that you NEED to get done during that day, OR tasks that will make you FEEL good when you’ve accomplished it.
My top 3 tasks for the day were:
- Washing/drying laundry (who cares if it gets folded as long as it’s clean!).
- Prepare for supper (chop and place veggies in a pot with water. When supper time comes around you just have to turn the stove on).
- Sweep the kitchen and living room (I always felt more relaxed when I was snuggled on the couch or floor with my baby and I didn’t see dust bunnies and dirt all over the place!).
*An important note: you’re not actually going to get it ALL done – just the stuff that matters :)
There, that’s it!
It’s not complicated and you can start today.
To getting sh*t done,